Kitchen stool makeover

OK, I know I didn’t need a new project. But we’re getting used to the kitchen and sometimes just want to eat a piece of toast together, and a couple of stools would be useful as there’s no space for table & chairs. We have 2 stools but one is too tall (but comfy – it’s a musician’s stool) and the other is old, ugly and just plain uncomfortable.

So the other morning I just thought I’d have a go at making over the ugly stool, with the idea of buying another old stool from a junk antiques shop which I can similarly destroy, and making a pair. I’ve probably been watching too many episodes of ‘Selling houses with Amanda Lamb’ etc. How hard can it be??

Here’s where it’s at so far:

Kitchen stool - broken underneath
The hardboard underneath was broken…
Kitchen stool - taking off the tacks
First job – remove all the decorative tacks

 

Kitchen stool - removing the staples
Then removing the staples, to reveal the lovely disintegrating foam padding…

 

Kitchen stool - top off
Yuk! Seat removed and disposed of.

 

Kitchen stool - undercoat
I sanded down the stool and then undercoated…

For the comfort factor, I bought a square of compacted chipped foam from C&H Fabrics which will be fine for the base, plus I have some soft wadding to go over the top and make it a bit more luxurious.

At this point I was thinking that we had half a pot of F&B ‘Churlish Green’ eggshell paint, which would be perfect. But could I find it…? No. But by this time I had already bought 60cm of vinyl coated fabric for the seat, which looks like this:

vinyl fabric for kitchen stool seat

… so I went in search for some suitable paint, and at B&Q I was puzzled to find many aisles of emulsion paint but virtually no eggshell for painting woodwork. So I ended up buying a small pot of Lime Green paint for ‘garden furniture’ – who’d have thought there was a market for painting garden furniture lurid colours? The paint’s a little drippy and the stool will probably need at least 3 coats but here it is after one coat:

Kitchen stool first top coat

Although we haven’t decided on colours and decor for the kitchen (when we get around to having it done), we already have quite a few lime green-ish accessories and I felt that N wouldn’t object too much to this! Plus as I only needed a small mount I was able to buy a teeny tin for under £4.

Meanwhile I’ve sourced some new decorative tacks online which should arrive shortly. The other materials I need (webbing, hessian, wadding, lining fabric) I already have, from my first upholstery project. I’ll post an update when I’ve got a but further on.

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives

Categories

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Robin Written by:

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply